Friday, January 14, 2011

Instrument Basket

This is just a small and simple addition to our classroom, but one that has really livened up an already lively circle time!

We sing a lot of songs during our circle times and it occurred to me it'd be fun to have a basket of instruments for us to use as musical accompaniment. We have quite a few instruments, thanks to our years in Kindermusik, but I'll only put four or so in the basket at a time and then rotate them out every month.

James gets so excited when it comes time to chose his instrument and he takes the selection process quite seriously! :) He loves having the choice instead of being told "this is what instrument you're using today" (as is the case in Kindermusik).


~Thank you for your comments!~

11 comments:

Debbie said...

I have lots of nice rhythm instruments, but they're sitting on a wardrobe shelf, all forgotten. Thanks for reminding me that I have them! I need to get a nice basket now and put a selection of them out for Gabriela--I think she'll love them. : )

Minara said...

you have definatley woken me up, will be looking more into waldorf and montessori

Rebecca said...

LOVE this idea Mari-Ann!! Im always trying to find little ways to incorporate music into our schooling. And we have lots of little instruments so its a great idea to put one or two out for the time being. TFS!

The girl who painted trees said...

Bear's Montessori class does this at circle time - her teacher passes out a basket of instruments and the children get to choose one. It's Bear's favorite part of the day. I can see how James would love this too.

Anonymous said...

ohh how fun! I would love to add in a song to our calendar time.. I will definitely need to put out some instruments too! I will have to add to the collection though!

Does James pick the same one or does he rotate between them?

sbswtp said...

YAY!!! love the instruments!!! always a big hit around here....

Unknown said...

Hi Mari-Ann,
Being a music teacher, I love this :)

Sometime will you share some of the songs you sing during circle time? :)

RockerMom said...

Oh, how lovely! I think music livens up just about anything. :)

W-S Wanderings said...

Not only wonderful to listen to, but also beautiful to look at! What a wonderful addition to circle time.

Counting Coconuts said...

Thank you for your comments!

@Lindsay: James has definitely used all of the intstruments and likes to a choose a different one for EACH song. :) His favorite is the xylophone.

@Irbystreet: I may consider sharing our circle time song list, and the only thing stopping me is that it would take a lot of time to write out each song. I create a new set of songs each month so it coordinates with whatever theme we're working on.

Jen said...

Very nice... you put so much thought into what's best for James, you amaze me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails