Thursday, June 16, 2011

Island Scavanger Hunt

I saw this fun idea on The Creative Homemaker (via a friend's pin on Pinterest) and immediately set to work creating something similar for James. We won't be going on our hunt for another week or so, but I know it'll be a big hit. We recently went on a nature walk/hunt with our homeschooling group and James had a blast looking for and finding the items on the list.

Inside of the bag are a variety of things to assist us on our hunt:
:: A copy of our hunt list, adhered to the bag with temporary double stick tape.
:: A few small baggies - I'm sure you can buy these online somewhere, but I always just collect the ones that hold the extra buttons you get with clothing. Of course you could always use regular ziplocs, too.
:: A pair of child safe scissors for clipping - we always opt for items already on the ground, but in the event we need to further prune said items, these scissors will come in handy. I should note that I plan to have my Swiss Army knife handy as well (kept in my possession, obviously).
:: Connected to the bag is a pen on string for checking off the items we've found.
:: Magnifying glass
:: Empty containers - I purchased the white-capped containers here, but baby food or spice jars would work well, too.
:: Camera (for those items you can't/don't want to take with you).
:: Mini notepad to record thoughts or findings in more detail.
:: A drawstring bag to hold all of the kit items, making them easy to find among the natural goodies.

For folks that want to look, but not touch or remove items from their natural habitats, instead of a full-on kit may I suggest simply bringing along your list, a pen, and a disposable camera (or one you're comfortable having your child use).
For my fellow islanders, we're planning on going to Cooper's Island for our hunt as it has a beach and a nature reserve. I've made my list available to you here. (Of course anyone is welcome to use this, it's just that some of the items are very specific to Bermuda.) :)

PS: This colorful nature hunt is another fun activity we've done in the past.

~Thank you for your comments!~

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic...AS USUAL! I love EVERYTHING you do!! :) Thank you for sharing!!!!

Lillian said...

Love this idea!Love your blog. Thanks for sharing!

Lillian said...

What a great idea. Love your blog very much. Thanks for sharing!

Deb Chitwood said...

What a great way to explore the island! Thanks so much for sharing your list and the materials in your bag. I linked to your post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/06/16/montessori-inspired-ocean-unit-for-summer-learning-and-fun/.

Anonymous said...

Very fun! I love the idea of having all of the items available for them to use!

Olives and Pickles said...

Thanks Mari-Ann for sharing with us.
I'm wondering if you use the same bag everytime you looks for nature treasures?Because you mentioned that you glue the list to the bag.

Patty

Counting Coconuts said...

Thanks for your kind feedback!

@Patty: We've not done the hunt yet, but you bring up a good point! I would like to reuse the bag and thankfully we didn't actually GLUE the list to the bag (I used double sided tape, which I think is re-positionable).

Sandra said...

Oh, this is such a great idea! Our scavenger-hunt lists are always get dirty and wrinkled :) We will remember this idea next time! And to bring small bags as well - I always forget to bring them!

Kristi @ Creative Connections for Kids said...

Hope it is okay for me to add this to my pinterest! Great idea. :)

Olives and Pickles said...

Thanks Mari-Ann for answering my question. I think that is a good idea,,we can tape the list to the bag and then change it once we are done with the same list.
Thank you
Patty

Joey said...

Another fantastic idea! I think I'll do this with my kids this summer. It adds another exciting activity to our regular beach visits! I'm sure our West Coast of Canada list will be quite different!
~ joey ~

jonimarie said...

I just wanted to say what an inspiration you have been to me. I worked at a Montessori childcare while i was going to college to get my degree in Child Development and i fell in love with there methods. When i found your blog i fell in love as well!! I have a 29 month old little boy names Jonas and we have been doing some activities not really montessorri but then i found your blog and it all came back to me and now we doing so much more!! I love the scavenger hunt idea!! I just wanted to say thank you for helping me get back to the Montessori Methods for my own child :)

Jen said...

I think I may use this idea for our beach vacation to the Outer Banks. This would be fun for all of the kids to do.

thanks,
Jennifer

Angela said...

Thank you for linking to me. I love the island version you came up with! Super cute!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails