Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Candy Sensory Tub

Want to make your kiddo smile from ear to ear? Make them a sensory tub filled with CANDY! (Pretend candy, that is!) :)

Oh my goodness, you'd think I'd given James the moon when I handed over this tub the other day - he explored it for, and I'm not exaggerating here, 45 minutes! And he's returned to it several times since then, too!

Here's what's inside:

:: Lots of pom-poms of various sizes, colors and textures. Some homemade, too!
:: Empty containers from real candy (found in various stores around the island).
:: Mini gumball machine filled with wooden beads (i.e. gumballs) - a fun gift from my bloggy friend, Susan (I *think* she found it at Target).
:: Stretchy worms (i.e gummy worms)
:: Small baggies (see far right side)
:: A purple scoop
:: Little tongs
:: Polka dotted beads (purchased from a local store, Daisy & Mac) - some I left as beads, others I turned into lollipops (see below).
:: Bumpy red beads (i.e. gum drops)
:: Teeny tiny fruit beads (i.e. Runts)
:: Red lacing string (i.e. licorice)

Another fun addition I thought of, but didn't have time to create, was Hershey kisses - you could wrap some tin foil into a little cone shape and, if you're super creative, make personalized tags for them.

I made these little lollipops using the polka dotted beads and some Q-tips. I simply stripped the cotton from the Q-tips and stuck them into the hole of the bead. These are, by far, James' FAVORITE thing in the tub!

I added some baggies and tongs to the tub to simulate what you'd do at an open bin candy store. James had fun collecting various candies and setting them aside to "buy later". :)

This has really been an "all in one" kind of tub. With it James has done lacing, scooping, tonging, pouring, sorting by color/item/shape/texture, counting, adding, subtracting, sharing, pretending, and even spelling (he likes to arrange the puffs into letter shapes and create words). I just love that he gets so much out of these tubs!

Click the button below to see a full list of my sensory tubs or click here to view my slideshow on the Counting Coconuts Facebook page.


~Thank you for your comments!~

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Love that tub!!!!!!! What a neat idea!

Unknown said...

Oh that is so cute! What a great idea! Even though my kiddos would know it was all "fake" candy....I'm certain they would test those gumballs out anyway. :)

Anonymous said...

what fun!! I love this bin!

Elle said...

Great idea!

Rusheika said...

looks good!!

Cheri said...

I wonder if he spent 45 minutes with with tub in hopes of finding some "real" candy hidden. I know I would if I was a kids. Love the idea. I have not made any sensory tubs yet. Still trying to find the best way to organize my materials I have started collecting.

Olives and Pickles said...

So cool..I love it too : )

Michelle said...

This is adorable what a great sensory bin!!

Mara said...

this looks delicious!

momofbugs said...

What a fun idea. My kids would crazy over this one.

Secretari said...

Yummy! I'll try my own one with home-made tidbits!

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

Love! Even I would play for awhile :).

Tim, Allyson, and kids said...

Our kiddos would love that, although I'm sure some of the "candy" would be tasted :)

Kristin said...

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I linked to your site. I love reading your blog. You have such great ideas. Thank you for sharing.
http://kristin-senseofwonder.blogspot.com/2011/06/sensory-tubs.html

Sharla said...

This is so cute! I never would have thought to make one that was fake candy. I love the colours too...so much fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails