Friday, March 19, 2010

Welcome, Spring!

Spring has definitely sprung here in Bermuda. All day long I hear the birds chirping happily as they gather goodies for their nests. For some reason, birds really like our house. There are no less than 13 nests around the perimeter of our roof! I figured since we see these nests every day, we may as well do what we can to make them look pretty and help out the birds, too. So, James and I made a wool tree using some bits from my wool stash.
{This lovely idea came from my favorite blog, The Magic Onions}

James and I had such a good time hunting around the yard for sticks and talking about what we were doing and why. He kept saying, "Come on yittle babies, get warm!" He also did a great job arranging the sticks in the glass pitcher (filled with river stones for stability).

He (and Grover) worked carefully to put wool roving on the tips.

After we made the tree, we went inside and cuddled together on the recliner watching our tree to see if anybirdie was interested. We had no takers at first, but after dinner I noticed an empty branch. ;)

Oh and a lovely flower maiden is visiting our nature display. I needle-felted her the other day along with the little eggs you see in the nest.

{A beautiful hibiscus fresh with raindrops, sitting just outside our door}

Happy Spring, everyone!


19 comments:

Melissa {Suger} said...

Love it all. What a wonderful spring display. Loving the wool tree. I might just have to pop over to that magic onion blog. looks like fun.

Sippy Cup Central said...

I love the tree...we just had our 2nd beach day here. Spring is in the air, enjoy!

carine said...

Lovely!

Susan-Chasing Marcus said...

What a fun activity. We are planning on making some bird feeders this weekend. I wonder if our California birds would like scraps of fabric/yarn.... Sophie has been very into looking to the sky and saying "Hawk" (her word for bird) or telling me on our walks to be quite because the "hawks" are sleeping. Don't you just love spring when all the animals are out?

jen at paintcutpaste.com said...

love this tree! how fun it is to help out the birds this way, and it makes a lovely porch decoration! we enjoyed making our little nesting orbs and are having even more fun watching them getting used by the birds!

Grace said...

The wool is such a great idea. We haven't tried it yet -

softearthart said...

How happy he is ,in the doing of life,I do like your needle felted lady. cheers from New Zealand Marie

Unknown said...

I keep seeing cute ideas about helping birds with there nests. I have a peanut butter allergy in my room this year, so I think we'll try some of these instead of bird feeders. Thanks for sharing your ideas~perfect as today is the first day of Spring!

Theresa said...

What a great activity to do with James, I might have to try this one!
Thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Oooh! Lovely idea! We had a pair of mourning doves trolling our outdoor environment yesterday... 'Tis the season to make babies, apparently!

Unknown said...

I have an award for you! http://www.jdaniel4smom.com/2010/03/awards-spring-up-from-everywhere.html

Terrell said...

Mari-Ann, A friend of mine follows your blog and I'm so glad she does so I could find it! I am also a SAHM living on a small island (Guam) with a young son. I am really interested in doing Montessori type activities with my kiddo and have been looking for a good on-line resource. Thanks so much for sharing!

Elise said...

What a gorgeous sight and display for your outdoor area. I hope we get to see a photo of a nest that features some of your beautiful creation.

DB said...

Oh totally cute. Stealing this!

Homeschool @ sg said...

Hello from Sunny island of Singapore! Im a stay at home mama to my 31month old boy. Im also homeschooling him using montessori method. I love your blog and have been secretly feeding info from it. I would like your permission to link your blog to mine? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

ooo so cute! I am sure that will make those nests very pretty!

Jen said...

Your flower maiden is perfect, love the colors. I get so annoyed with birds, it's sweet of you to want to help them. ;)

themagiconions said...

Oh my goodness... you won't believe what we found! Our resident squirrel, Timone, has had a baby in the huge palm down the road. Her baby is grown now, luckily, as her nest came down in the wind yesterday... guess what it was made of?? Colored wool from our yarn tree!! It was such a bright and comfy nest - no wonder her baby looks so healthy and happy! So nice to know that it IS actually used :-) Your tree is adorable! Thanks so much for the Link Love!!
Blessings and magic,
Donni

Angela @ kinder days said...

I loved your spring post! we just had our spring seed planting party this friday to welcome the season!

http://dailythoughtsonmytots.blogspot.com/2011/03/spring-seed-planting-party.html


I love this time of year! thanks for all your posts, they are so inspiring! have a wonderful week!


Angela
In Germany!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails