Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pirate Paaaarty!

Normally, we keep things really laid back for all of our birthdays - just lunch or dinner with family and friends, a few gifts, and of course some cake. :) This year, though, for the first time in his life, James decided he wanted a party. And not just any party, but a PIRATE party! The planning freak in me was so excited and, thanks to A LOT of wonderful input from all of you, the party went off without a hitch!

For the invites, I decided to go the e-vite route. Quick and easy and they had a pirate themed template, too! This was my message:
Yo ho ho and all that fun!
We'll be havin' a pirate pizza paaarty and we hope ye can come! Arrive if ye dare for a few hours of pleasure - we'll be playin' games, eatin' treats, and huntin' for treasure! Send ye replies by April the 3rd. Regrets risk walkin' the plank!

For the music, I uploaded some pirate music (from iTunes) onto my iPod - I chose songs from this album and this album. (Thanks, J, for the suggestion!!)

For the decorations, I kept it simple - balloons from the dollar store and homemade bunting from here.

Here are some photos from the big day...
As the guests arrived, the little pirates visited this table to "suit up" pirate style with a hat, a sash (just strips of extra material I had on hand), some tattoos, and necklaces. I was going to make eyepatches, but decided against it (didn't think it was a great idea to have sugar filled kids running around with one eye!).

Here's my little pirate all dressed up and displaying his "angry pirate face"!

This little cutie made a fashion statement with the sash!

I opted not to do games (some of our crew was just a bit too young for them), so we did some crafts instead.

I ordered these little treasure chests from here and the kids had a ball decorating them with paint and sequins. They also made necklaces out of beads and colored pasta.

For lunch we had pizza, green salad, fruit salad, and some Pirate's Booty (yes, it's actually called this!). :)

The absolute highlight of the party was this amazing, delicious strawberry chocolate cake! My sweet friend, Ann, put a lot of time and love into making this. (Thank you again, Ann!!) I just love the blue paper (think water) and the gummy sharks swimming around on it. We made the sails out of paper and skewers.

Blowing out the candles!

It was Ann's clever idea to have the candles sticking out of the side of the ship like cannons!

After cake, the kids went on a treasure hunt to find their goody bags...
I made the goody bags out of bandannas. I was able to cut two bags per bandanna and then I just hand stitched them up the sides and used a bit of yarn to tie them. I made the name tags in Word. What was the loot? Some stickers, pencils, these crayons, a small package of Goldfish Crackers, some gold chocolate coins, some pirate band-aids, and some more tattoos.

In between all of this, the kids had a blast swinging and jumping around in the bouncy castle.

All in all, it was a fun filled day and one I hope James will remember!

Here are some of piratey links that inspired me:
Growing Up Our Style - this was my go to post! I copied so many of these ideas!
Katherine Marie Photography
Family Fun
Sheek Shindigs
These crayons would have been fun for the goody bag, too!
The Attached Mama
The many comments from you lovely people!

And to get us in the spirit of the party, I made this pirate sensory tub. :)

~Thank you for your comments!~

17 comments:

Storyteller said...

It's clear how much effort you put into this party - and James looks so pleased in that last photo! I'm really taken with the candle-cannons.

Heather said...

Wow great job! Looks like it was a great party! :) I loved the "cannon candles"!

Heather @ Catfish Kisses

Eddie said...

I love the cake! James is one lucky kid.
(And I am amazed/impressed that you have that kind of energy at the moment!)

Anonymous said...

What a great party!! I loved the cake!!! Your friend did an amazing job!! Looks like a wonderful party and one James will remember for a long time!

Susana of Montessori Candy said...

Looks fun Mari-Ann! Home birthday orgies can be the best, especially with a creative momma like you! We just had a 3rd b-day over here and enjoyed putting together the celebration as well!
-Susana

B said...

It looks like the kids had a really great time! You did some really great things. Doing crafts instead of games is inspired! Also, I love the cake with the "cannon" candles! What a great idea she had! Well done!

Ash said...

Every year on September 19, my own family as well as the kids at my daycare centre celebrate "Talk Like A Pirate Day"!! I love the idea of having a treasure hunt to find the goodie bags. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas!

Olives and Pickles said...

Fun Party!!I love evey single detail. C for the very first time had her party as well..you know they get to a certain age that realize they also can have a special day! Now she keeps saying mommy I want to have another birthday party..can we make one for next weekend?
So sweet!

http://olivesandpickles.blogspot.com/2011/03/rainbow-birthday.html

patty

Stephanie said...

Ohhhh! That is so great! I love all of your fun! It was simple and fun! Not to mention the cake!!!!! That was amazing!

Leptir (NataĊĦa) said...

I love it! Great great idea! Everything is so lovely :-)

Elle Belles Bows said...

What a fun party!! Love James' pirate face! Looks like a super party and the cake is AMAZING!!

Kerri

Unknown said...

What a fun party! I LOVE the cake...very creative and looks yummy too!!

Katie said...

That is an adorable party, and I think my daughter would love it. One of my favorite things was the cannon candles!

Anonymous said...

That cake looks awesome! Wow!

Rebecca said...

Your party came out sooo cute! That cake is amazing! Thanks for the link love :)

The Domestic Yogi said...

Wow, what a wonderfully loving and thoughtful birthday! Especially in awe of the cake!! (Pirate) hats off to you and your family!

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

I love the angry pirate face :) And the treasure boxes and the treasure hunt and that cake! WOW!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails