Monday, April 4, 2011

Seed Graphing

James has been really interested in graphing lately. He's always measuring things and likes to declare "this one has more, this one has less, this one has the same as that one...". So, I whipped up this little seed graphing activity.

I used leftover seeds from last year's gardening disaster experience and purchased just a couple extra packets of particularly large seeds to make things easier to work with (ever try counting out carrot seeds?! Yeesh.). These are the seeds (and quantities) I chose:

Watermelon - 7
Pumpkin - 7
Radish - 4
Swiss Chard - 5
Hot Pepper - 8
Cucumber - 6
Peas - 10
Beans - 5
Corn - 1
Radish (different variety) - 3

I made a point of counting out only one of a certain seed, ten of another, and a couple groups that had the same amount. This way it's clear to determine on the graph which seeds have more/less/the same.

You can print out my graphing chart here. Happy seed counting!


~Thank you for your comments!~

12 comments:

♥♠☻☺♦♣○◘•@$hley said...

love it!

Sippy Cup Central said...

We just did goldfish graphing. I like how you used different seeds for each number. Karen

Unknown said...

LOVE THAT IDEA!!!

Charissa said...

Oh how I look forward to when Eva is 4 & she can do these fun projects. For now at age 1 she' just put the whole project in her mouth. :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful math activity!

Stephanie said...

Very cool! I love that idea!

Just Me said...

Beautiful!

I am your newest fan!! I love how you combine the Waldorf and Montessori methods... brilliant.

Chris Wilson said...

What a beautiful graph. And my students will love the seed idea. Thanks for sharing!

Monica said...

Love this idea, especially with gardening season just around the corner. We did something similar with coloured marshmellows in the winter with some hot chocolate :)

♥♠☻☺♦♣○◘•@$hley said...

Rowan can't wait to pick out items at the grocery to use:)

Elle Belles Bows said...

Fantastic! Love it!

Kerri

Deb Chitwood said...

Great idea, Mari-Ann! I just featured your seed graphing photo and autumn corn activities in my Montessori-Inspired Corn Unit at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/11/17/montessori-inspired-corn-unit/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails