Thursday, August 11, 2011

Yarn Along - Baby Toys

Our little babe has plenty of warm knitted things to wear now, but as I went through all of James' old baby toys, cleaning and sanitizing them, I realized she has no new toys of her own!

The first thing I made was this little bunny blanket (my nod to her being born in the Year of the Rabbit). I was inspired to make it after seeing it on Frontier Dreams (she makes the most lovely things for her children). She suggested wetting the paws on the bunny and then popping him into the freezer which will make a nice teether for sore little gums. This was very easy to knit and is oh so soft and cuddly! You can find the pattern here. I used 100% organic cotton (sorry, I don't recall the brand).

These are teething rings. I really hemmed and hawed over whether or not I should make these. Bermuda is such a moist environment year round and mold has a knack of growing everywhere. These just seemed like mold traps waiting to happen. Then I read a bit more about them and read other's suggestions and I realized since they're felted, I could wash them in the hottest water over and over again. And, like the bunny, I can dip them in water, set them in the freezer and know that my baby's gums are being comforted by a natural fiber instead of plastic. For all the colors I used Malabrigio 100% merino wool in the colorways: Ravely Red, Tiger Lily, and Pollen. You can find the knitting pattern here.

These aren't knitted, but I thought I'd share them anyway. I made these "crinkle blankets" on the suggestion of my very best friend who just became a mama herself! She said to me, "I have something you can make for the baby! You take a chip bag..." and there I had stop her and laugh. Somehow 'baby toy' and 'chip bag' just didn't seem to fit together to me! But they do - the chip bag (or any other similar kind of "material") is where you get the crinkle! I did a quick search online and found this tutorial. Still without a sewing machine, I stitched these by hand. I had planned to make several, but just one took me over an hour to make! I used flannel (just cut up one of James' old receving blankets) for one and some cute Very Hungry Caterpillar fabric for the other. The ribbons are from my scrapbooking fibers stash.

Not included in the head photo (since I knitted these later) are these balls I whipped up using this pattern. VERY easy knits and a great way to use up some of those tiny balls of leftover yarn!

Since I'm linking up to Ginny's Yarn Along I have a book to share as well. I thoroughly enjoyed re-reading (for the 3rd time) Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, and Anne's House of Dreams all by L.M. Montgomery. I have all three stories combined in one volume. and they've been some of my all-time/long-time favs. Have any of you ever seen the Canadian version of Anne of Green Gables? The TV mini-series from the 80's? It came out when I was about 12 (Anne's age when the story begins) and I felt I found a kindred spirit in her character. Like Anne, I was a wide-eyed dreamer with an imagination sometimes too big for my own good. :)

~Thank you for your comments!~

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made a knit bunny similar to yours! I lined the ears with fuzzy pink yarn. :) I also tried my hand at the knit balls, making three different sizes for a friend who just had a baby - they were fun!

The kiddos in my family grew up watching "Anne of Green Gables" - it's a favorite.

Renee said...

A friend of mine made my son the bunny blanket and he adores it. I will have to try freezing the corners -- he likes playing with the ears so much I untied them!

The crinkle blankets may be cute enough to make me get out my sewing machine!

I just found your blog and love it. My daughter was born the exact same day as James. :) Wish I had activity boxes ready when our son came along in March!

Anonymous said...

Great job!! I love the balls.. I was looking at some of these for good ideas for my niece and my sister's baby (due in October) for Christmas!

Mercedes said...

I absolutely love the bunny blanket.

Mama Mandy said...

I can't knit & so admire you work! Love the chip bag idea though...I could do that.

Anne of Green Gables is my all time favorite book/video series as well!

Rachel said...

Anne of Green Gables is my favorite book of all times! I keep waiting for baby news.

Mandy said...

When I had my first daughter I read all 8 of the Anne books over while I was pregnant and nursing - such a sweet memory! love your creations!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love Anne Shirley. I was introduced to her through the series you spoke of and the got all of the books, which I still have. Hopefully my girls will enjoy reading them soon. Maybe we will try the first one for our next read aloud....

Karen said...

Oh, I love the idea of the homemade baby toys/gifts - a great inspiration and definitely on my to-do-list
God Bless
karen

pinkundine said...

I love the teething ring chain, what a fantastic idea :) The crinkly blankets are so cute too (love the hungry caterpillar fabric!)

Anonymous said...

I love homemade baby toys! And I think my little ones enjoy them more. I love the felted rings, I am going to have to try and attempt that!

Looks like you are going to have our baby soon! Congrats and hope these last few days are peaceful and free of pain. Oh and that you get lots of sleep, too!

Anonymous said...

The toys are adorable! Great ideas. We have a new one coming in October, so thanks for the inspiration!

Stacy said...

I made some of those balls, loved how easily they knit up and used up a lot of little bits of yarn I couldn't seem to toss out. I'm thinking I'll have to add that knitted bunny blanket to my to-do list.

Anonymous said...

What darling baby toys! I enjoyed seeing them -- happy knitting! -- Kathy at http://www.needleandspade.com

Mistea said...

Those are cute toys - Love the little bunny. Great that they can be useful too for the little one.
Anne seems to be very popular, she is very timeless.

Unknown said...

What you’re declaring is totally correct? I am aware that everyone must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I also love the photos you set in here. They fit so nicely with what you want to say.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails