Friday, April 2, 2010

A Basket of Goodies

I'm so excited about James' Easter basket this year because much of what's in it is mama made. :)

Here's what's inside...

I found this pattern for Easter eggs and knew I had to at least try to make them for James' Easter basket. I had to learn a few new tricks (I *heart* the Magic Loop), and voila! a jumbo Easter egg was born.

The pattern mentioned above is for a very large egg, so I decreased it to create these little guys.

After that there was no stopping me. I found this pattern and made a cute little bunny.

And this pattern produced a wee chick.

I wet felted some eggs last month after I saw this post by Natural Kids.

I love the book The Sun Egg by Elsa Beskow, and thought it was a must for James' basket.

So were these little wooden animals made by Engelberger. We have a growing collection of his animals and we love each and every one. Beautiful craftsmanship. Ostheimer is another favorite of ours.

Lastly, I needle felted this sweet little "boysenberry baby" necklace. I'm 99% sure James will love it, but if he doesn't I'll have no shame in wearing it myself!


The finishing touches were a bag of fruit snacks, a granola bar, a big orange, and a yellow playsilk. For the record, I have nothing against chocolate bunnies or jellybeans; it's just that my boy is active enough without all that sugar!!

Tia is here with us for the holiday, so I whipped up a basket of goodies for her too, but I won't post a pic of it just in case she reads this post before Easter morning. :)

13 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Wow, James is so lucky to have such a creative mom. Those goodies are awesome.

Theresa Mezo said...

I love that book too! What a wonderful addition to your son's library & what a beautiful basket of homemade goodies! :)

Jen said...

Um... where to start?! Didn't you just learn to knit like a few months ago?! WOW. How many times do I have to ask you to PLEASE open an Etsy store so I can buy this stuff for my boys???? Seriously I would be your best customer!!
Good for you for cutting out the sugary stuff, it's totally not necessary.
LOVE love love the little needle felted necklace (can I pay you to make one for me on the side?!) and the bunny is adorable. Great job!!!

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

What a great Easter basket. Your son is lucky to have a creative mom & a homemade basket of goodies to cherish!

I've given you the sunshine award: http://delicious-ambiguity-nennyk.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-first-award.html

Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome Easter basket!! I love all of the handmade goodies! I am sure James will too :-)

Karen said...

So cute!!! Beautiful things handmade!! yea for momy!.

Big Hugs
Karen

kewkew said...

I love everything about his Easter basket! You are so creative.

Just wanted to let you know I have a gift for you over at my blog. I feel it supports a great cause, but it is time sensitive.

Leptir (NataĊĦa) said...

Great job Mari-Ann! I LOVE LOVE little bunny and chick :-) So cute!

Fiona said...

great ideas

Lisa said...

what a wonderful basket of goodness! I especially love the bunny and the chick! I'm sure everything was very much loved. I made monsters and bunnies for my girls' baskets, my girls seem to really respect the goods made by more than every other toy they get. It's nice. :)

I LOVE the name of your blog! There's lots of great ideas over here too!

lisa

Linda said...

Such wonderful handmade goodness! You have a lovely blog:)
Warmly
Linda

Susan-Chasing Marcus said...

His basket is just perfect! I really like how everything is just so simple, and inspires tons of thought, creativity and is not boring! Sometimes I feel like I get caught in the plastic trap...I did pretty good for Easter and focused mainly on books and a wooden train. I am about to make some eggs for my felt food. There is no way I am sewing all of those egg pieces together. Wish me luck and I promise to take a few pictures. I have been a felt food machine the past few weeks!

Ms Muffin said...

Such cute things! I especially love those knit eggs and the felted ones! How lovely!!! And this needle felted necklace is just sweet! I would wear it, too! ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails