Saturday, May 26, 2012

Angry Birds Mini Unit

The Angry Birds mini unit is ready! I had hoped to get this out here sooner, but my sweet little girl came down with a viral infection and was quite ill for a number of days. : ( She's on the mend now, though - thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers for her!

Here's a closer look at what's inside this unit:

DIY Angry Birds Game. We used our set of Lincoln Logs, a few items from our sensory tub, and our homemade slingshot for this game. I ordered these plush Angry Birds and we'll use them to try and knock down our structures.

Tic Tac Toe. I found the Angry Bird images here, and I made the game board. Easy peasy!

Launch-A-Bird. For this activity, James uses the slingshot to shoot the "birds" (puff) across the room. He then uses the measuring tape to determine how far they flew, and makes note of it in his nifty homemade Angry Birds notebook. :)

Bingo. I made these myself - you can download them here.

Gluing Practice. James really enjoyed this one (though anything involving glue is usually a hit!) - he glued googly eyes and bits of colored felt onto some of the jumbo puffs to make his own Angry Birds.

REAL Angry Birds. I made these cards, but I credit this website for giving me a jump start on the information. James thought it was neat to see his favorite birds in real life!

LOTS of worksheets from 1+1+1=1 and Teaching Happily Ever After.

Thermic Tablets. Since there are a variety of materials used in the Angry Birds games, I thought it'd be fun to dig out the tablets and have a review of them.

Memory Game. Using the same images as in the Tic Tac Toe game, I (haphazardly!) cut these into cards for a memory game.

Tweezing Pigs & Birds. James got a bunch of these little pigs for his birthday one year, and the birds are from who knows where. I've had them forever. :)

War Card Game. I found the cards here.


Patterning. Images are from this site.

Measuring "Bird Seed". I didn't want to go out and buy a huge bag of bird seed, so I bought some sunflower seeds instead (yum!). James uses the measuring spoons to find out how many of each measurement is inside of the container. He records his findings in his notebook.

Angry Bird Craft. I printed these off from here. Once they're all put together they're little cube shaped birds. :)

Sensory tub - click here for the original post.

~Click the button below to view more of our mini units.~

~Thank you for your comments!~

8 comments:

Ash said...

This unit is great! I am constantly amazed and inspired by your ideas and creativity!!! The idea about measuring how far the birds fly - I'm going to have to um....borrow that one, kay?

Anonymous said...

You can shared some really great ideas to incorporate some Angry Birds learning into our homeschool. Thanks!

The Activity Mom said...

Love this unit! Can't wait to try the cards with the real birds on them.

We've also used this printable on magnetic paper and had a ton of fun with Angry Birds Magnetic Pretend Play:
http://www.activity-mom.com/2012/02/angry-birds-magnets-printable.html

Marlana said...

This is so cute! You did a great job finding and putting together a variety of resources that are meaningful and fun! I LOVE Angry Birds!

Blessings,
Marlana
Lil' Country Kindergarten

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for this! My dear aspie son LOVES angry birds, and we, as a family are studying birds for the summer. This is a fabulous way to get him to stay connected to what we are doing! love your creativity!
Sheri

Marta said...

Is there any chance to see a video of your son working with any of these activities?
Greetings from Hawaii!

Love your blog!
Marta

Marie Johnson said...

Love your unit!! Wishy wish I could print out your real bird cards!! ;) Great Job!

Andrea said...

Thanks so much for these awesome ideas! I used many of them in an Angry Birds - themed box that I made for a friend of my daughter's for his birthday. It was a huge hit!

Here's a link to see what I made:
http://unschooltheteacher.blogspot.com/2013/07/angry-birds-birthday-box.html

Thanks again!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails