Sunday, February 28, 2010

Finding Balance

After a lot of thinking, I've determined that blogging is important to me and it's something I truly enjoy, so I will be back to posting soon. It's all about balance though and with everything else I have going on in my life right now blogging is definitely going to be placed on the back burner.

In order to maintain the balance, here's what I'm going to do:

Fewer posts - admittedly this is going to be hard for me to stick to since I have so many things I'm always excited to share with all of you.
No more Tot School posts - this is something I've been thinking about for a while now. Now that James is nearly 3, we're completely focused on Montessori. Also, those posts were a pain in the butt to create.
Less blog surfing - I'm sure all of you can relate to how much time can magically disappear whilst reading your favorite blogs. Case in point: I have 470 unread posts in my Google Reader right now - just think if it took me 30 seconds to read each post (not including commenting on them) it would ultimately take me over 3 hours to get through all of them. And surely within that three hours more posts would be added to the list! There are tons of fantastic blogs out there, but it's a full time job in and of itself to keep up with reading them!!
Less commenting - I feel bad even writing that, but it goes along with less blog surfing. It's another thing that will be hard for me. I always have something to say and I love supporting my fellow bloggers.
Fewer replies to comments - I am so incredibly appreciative of all the sweet and encouraging feedback I get from all of you, but I'm just no longer able to respond to each comment. If you have questions about something in my posts, please ask and I will make a point to respond to them in the comment section.

So that's it. When I step back and look at this I think it's kind of funny that I have to make "blog rules" for myself! But, I know me and my type-A personality and these rules are an absolute necessity. :)

Be sure to stay tuned because I have some awesome giveaways coming up and of course with St. Patty's day just around the corner I'll have a few themed school activities to share as well!


18 comments:

Leptir (NataĊĦa) said...

I'm so glad that you find balance and I understand why you need to do all the things on your list. Big hugs :-)

Cara said...

Mari-Ann,

I was just thinking about you this morning! :) I'm having similar issues right now, trying to find balance with my blogging, reading of blogs, and responding to comments. It can get very overwhelming, and I absolutely think you are doing the right thing. Wanting and/or feeling like you HAVE to do it all to be doing "it" right. I completely understand. I know your Tot School posts took forever for you to put together, and although I will miss them, I'm also very much looking forward to reading about the Montessori activities! So glad to see you blogging again, according to these new rules! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Mari-Ann! I hope everything is ok. I totally understand where you are coming from. Your posts are always so informative and wonderful, they must take you a long time to create. It is amazing how much time the computer/web can take away from us, without us even realizing it. I love to read others' blogs too, but I just can't bring myself to comment on all of them on a daily basis.
I hope you find the balance you are looking for:) You are a great mommy and great blogger:)
If you ever need to chat, feel free to email me!!!

Hugs,
Tilly

Jo Shabo said...

As I've said before- I can totally relate!
I am trying to set limits for myself as well- I am thinking about trying to keep my computer off permanently on Tuesdays and Thursdays... and not much on the weekends as much either- so I really understand because I have to set rules in place for myself too- it really helps! :)
Hugs! :)

Quixotic said...

Yay! Welcome back Mari-Anne, we've missed you. I think I may need to set some "rules" for myself shortly too, time does magically disappear down the bloggy-rabbithole. You do whatever you need to to have balance in your life. :o)

Sheena said...

I am in the same boat right now. I started blogging about a year ago. I was super excited about it, but lately my desire has gone down hill. I still love to do it, but it needs to be more of a hobby than a central part of my life. I might have to set down some ground rules for myself as well!

Debbie said...

Best wishes on the new rules--I understand completely! I am very, very glad, however, that you're keeping your blog!

Anonymous said...

Glad your back :-) and finding the balance is tough.. but your right there has to be a balance!

Theresa Mezo said...

I like the sound of your "blog rules", and I too can relate with everything that you said.. I spend so much time reading blogs, commenting, and then finding other things I want to read. It is very time consuming!.. if only there were more hours in the day!
I do look forward to seeing your future posts though!
Take care :)

Evelyn / 2 Pequenos Traviesos said...

Mari-Ann:
You've been missed and in my prayers. I totally understand your new blogging rules: They're my rules too. Only I haven't posted about it. It does take a lot of time although we all LOVE blogging.
I'm glad about you finding a balance and being happy. You're a great mommy and friend!!!
(Remember, you don't have to answer back, haha)

Karen said...

Hi Mari-Ann!!
So glad that you find balance, placed some rules to your self and find the way to kept making all the great things that you usually do!! And sooooooo happy that you'll blooging again!!!yeeeaa

Big Hugs!!!

The girl who painted trees said...

I actually am doing the same thing, except I haven't written a post about it yet! I have a thousand things to read in my Google Reader, no kidding! Tot school posts always took me forever too and so do the preschool ones and the Montessori Monday ones. It's just easier to keep it to one or two ideas per post isn't it? I wrote three posts today and it took two hours!

Gaby said...

Good for you! You have to take care of yourself and prioritize. I do want to thank you for all your support though since I started my blog. You were truly missed and it is nice to have you back.

Jess said...

he he! Totally relate matie. I have just taken an offical 3 month break from blogging for similar reasons as well as having a new focus on what my priorities are at the moment - not so much montessori based as my girl now going to a monti preschool. Good luck and enjoy the new 'rules'. (:

Yay for you!
(:

becca jo said...

i'm glad you're setting boundries that will enable you to still keep everyone up to date on what's going on in your lives. smooches and love!!!!

Mommy Moment said...

I'm glad you found something that will work for you.
I am so glad that I found a blog partner. Although the transition has been a bit rough, I like that I share the posting with someone. I also just post about 1 thing at a time. It's quick and I figure that I have many years of posting about Montessori and Craft ideas to come, so once a week on one topic will have to do! It's less pressure on me.
I guess we all need to find what work for us...
as for commenting, I do it when I can and I set a time limit.
Happy you'll be back!
Jody
http://www.mommymoment.ca/

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

All good ideas. I admit - one thing that I did is separating my reader list into "Level A" and "Level B". I still read and comment on "Level A", glance on "Level B" in case something catches my eye and mark everything as read. It's been very liberating :)

Little Family Fun said...

I think you are very smart to do that. It is so easy to get caught up in the blog world and let other important aspects of your life pass you by. As I've commented before, My Little Family Fun blog is fairly new, and I've spent some time trying to make it to what I want it to be. But lately I've had to ask myself what exactly my goal is for that blog. Right now, I'm not too interested in making my blog huge. It's not about how many comments I get, or how many followers I have. Right now, I think my goal is just to have a place to share what we do and maybe help others.

That's what I see your blog as too. You have some great ideas and I can tell are such a good mom.

I will still be checking in on your blog to get some good ideas from you!
Take care!
Linda

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails