Saturday, February 6, 2010

Valentine's Activities - Letters & Language

Books
I highly recommend each of these books, especially Love You Forever... I challenge you to not cry - or at the very least get a little misty-eyed - while reading this book. Such a sweet story and one of my favorites.

Letters/Language
Matching letters to objects. This is similar to one of our alphabet drawers only in this case I collected small red things to be matched with the sound of the corresponding first letter (eg. triangle begins with 't').

Creating letters with Wikki Stix. I drew the letters L-O-V-E on index cards and laminated them so the Wikkis would stick a little better. :) The idea is for James to bend the Wikkis into each letter.

Matching letters with dot stampers. For this activity, James would take a letter circle from the bowl, find the match on the sheet of paper and then use the red stamper to mark it off. Sort of like letter bingo! :)

Sequencing the alphabet using heart cut-outs. Like most kids, James has the alphabet song memorized, but I'm curious to know if he can sequence the letters visually, too.

Name spelling using foam letters, I took a photo of them spelling out James' name with the idea being he'll match the actual foam letters to the ones in the photo.

*******************************************************************
I realized I forgot to add this to my math post:

Number recognition using a "parking lot" and red, pink and purple cars! This idea comes from My Montessori Journey (can you tell how much I love her blog?!). James thought this was pretty darn cool. He's going through a sensitive period with numbers right now, so while he knows these numbers well, I want to continue to indulge his interest them.

24 comments:

My Boys' Teacher said...

I have had My Montessori Journey's parking lot post bookmarked since the day she wrote it. Thank you for reminding me to get to that!

MG said...

I have been loving your blog...so inspirational! I've been trying to do so many different things w/ my 6 Y.O. for our home school stuff that I've been forgetting about all these fun things for my 4 Y.O. Thanks for reminding me...you have such great pictures of all your activities!

Okay, I seriously mean NO disrespect by this, but am I the only person that does NOT like the "Love You Forever" book? I know everyone loves it but I hid it for a while then got rid of it I think. Just curious if anyone else is "abnormal" like me? ;)

Mama to 5 said...

I have loved your blog since I found it! I am already a follower, thank you for adding my blog button to your blog! I love your Valentine's Day activities! If you are not following me, I would love to have you! :) Thank you for sharing all your great ideas!

Quixotic said...

Looks great! Have a little award for you on my blog!

Anonymous said...

oo what a fun game! I love the letter bingo game :-) Did you make it yourself?

Leptir (NataĊĦa) said...

Thanks for great ideas! Love your Valentine's posts :-)

Jo Shabo said...

Eek!! you only need FIVE more followers!
Sooo excited for you! :)

I can't believe we as so close to 100- that is CRAZY! At least I think it is - ha ha!

Sippy Cup Central said...

HI, I linked you to my sensory box. Love your activites.

Cara said...

I love all of these Valentine's activities! I may have to add a few of these to our activities for the week, if The Littlest Apple is willing. I think the parking lot activity would be a big hit here! :)

Vee said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I absolutely adore yours - I will be coming back! I'm sure my preschoolers would thank you! =]

Gay Vaughan said...

Mari-Ann,
Thank you for stopping by my blog and for letting me find yours! Excellent ideas and these will be a great help for me! I am following you now...thanks again!
~Gay~
itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

Susan-Chasing Marcus said...

You totally outdid your self for Valentines Day and we have been taking total advantage of it! Also, I have a super long email that I am sending your way this week (once I finish it!)

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

I agree, MMJ is such a great blog! I really like how you pulled out just one item to match with each letter. i am building my phonics drawers and love new ways to use them.

Our Little Family said...

Can I tell you how excited I am to try the activity of matching up the tiny object with the letter?! Thank you, thank you, thank you! We've hit a little bit of a lull with our alphabet drawers and I'm already feeling more energized. I'll definitely be introducing it to Maddie this week. Yay!

sbswtp said...

I'm loving all your activities!!! I am such a stalker of your blog :) The parking lot math activity looks really fun!

Rachel said...

I love the book Love you Forever too, but the mother crawling in the window of her adult son to rock him to sleep is a little creepy :)
Rachel

Counting Coconuts said...

Ha Rachel - I couldn't agree more. Love the story, but the whole mommy crawling thing IS most disturbing. :)

Unknown said...

I have an award for you! Come on over!

Elise said...

We need to add some more Valentine's Day themed books to our collection, so thank you for sharing your recommendations. Sounds like "Love You Forever" is a tear jerker, it is bound to have me misty eyed!

We have not yet done any letter recognition, but I am keeping a note of some fabulous ideas such as your matching letters to objects. I also like your idea of making words with wikki stix.

Letter bingo with a dot pen is also a fun way to practice letter recognition.

The parking lot idea is fabulous. I am bound to be using this in the near future.

Debbie said...

I love your activities this week! I have foam magnet letters, so I think I'll try the name matching with Gabriela. The parking lot activity is really neat--too bad I didn't have all these cool ideas when Isaac was a tot! Gabriela actually likes playing with cars, though, so I might try it. I just bought some bingo dabbers this week (dot pens), so I'm going to try that idea too (the letter matching one). Thanks for sharing!

Little Family Fun said...

Just when I thought there couldn't possibly be any other fun Valentine's Day learning activities, you post all these! They're awesome!
Linda

Karen said...

Where I was??? I didn't saw this post before???lol, great ideas!! the parking lot, the letter with objects, (other form), and the spelling name!! love them ALL!!!
Thank you!

Susan and Lee said...

where did you get the heart letter matching sheet?

Counting Coconuts said...

@Susan: Gosh, this is about two years ago now (before I was good about linking back!), but I *think* it was KidsSoup.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails