Tuesday, February 2, 2010

February Sensory Tub & Playdough - Valentines Day

First a quick word about Valentine's Day: Over the next couple of weeks you'll be seeing a lot of V-day activities over here on Counting Coconuts. But, I must admit, I'm not really a Valentine's kind of girl - the cards, the forced "I love you's"... it's all so contrived. Paul and I have never needed a holiday to show or tell how much we love one another. Little notes, flowers, hugs and kisses - there's so much you can (and should!) do all year round. However, I do quite like all the pink, red and CHOCOLATE that accompanies this holiday, so that's where my inspiration is coming from. :)

Valentine's Sensory Tub
I had several ideas in mind for this tub, but ultimately I decided on pink wool for the "base"; it has such a nice feel to it. I always try to find things that have varying textures and there's quite a range in this month's tub. Also, James really likes to "collect" things so I included several sets of objects for him to gather.

In the tub:
  • Heart shaped beads, stickers, foam cut-outs, and erasers
  • Feathers
  • Plastic crystals
  • A little box with heart shaped "gems" in it
  • A BIG pink pom and several smaller ones
  • A pipe cleaner shaped into... what else? A heart!
Chocolate Playdough
This cocoa scented playdough smells di-vine! I guarantee you James will at least try to take a nibble of this. Thank goodness it's homemade with safe products!

17 comments:

Karen said...

so cute!!! I love it! OMG and the chocolate play-doh too!!!!
I wish I can smell it!!!lol

Gidget Girl Reading said...

great stuff! and i'm with you I don't like valentines day that much either

Leptir (NataĊĦa) said...

Chocolate play-doh looks sooooo inviting! I LOVE it. Yummy!!
:-)

Theresa Mezo said...

I love your themed sensory tubs! ..and chocolate play-doh? You'd have a hard time getting me to stop playing with that! :)

Andrea said...

I just found your blog from Someday Crafts. Thank you for having this blog!!

About 3 years ago I taught toddlers at a Montessori school. Now I am a stay at home mom to an almost 2 year old and I've been trying to remember all of the tray activities from my teaching. I love everything you do! Thank you again for all of the ideas!

-Andrea

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

I wonder if you might like this chocolate box print out idea to go with the chocolate play doh (link for My Montessori Journey, sadly no link for the print out but I am sure you could free hand one) http://mymontessorijourney.typepad.com/my_montessori_journey/2009/02/chocolate-playdoh.html

Jen said...

I completely agree with you about Valentine's day... can't stand all the hype.
I recreated your sensory tub last night, although I didn't have any wool (boo hoo because that is such a great idea!). Anyway, Adien is in heaven with it... thank you! Can you send me the recipe for the chocolate playdoh?

Unknown said...

ummmm chocolate play dough sounds wonderful! I am coming over to play!

Unknown said...

Hey there! Thanks for the great comment! I will have to do some of those activities with him. I love your classroom too! Its great! Oh yeah, I added your button to my blog too! Thanks!

Counting Coconuts said...

Thanks for your nice comments! :)

Elise said...

Your Valentine's sensory tub is gorgeous. Pink wool - what a terrific idea, that would feel lovely. So many special things to look at and explore in your tub.

Cocoa scented play doh - that would be awesome.

Luciana said...

I'm not so familiar with the Montessori method but I loved the sensory tub idea! I'll most certainly borrow it.

Cassie said...

Oh I bet that chocolate playdough is so much fun!

Kylie said...

Thanks for adding all of your great links to the Sensory Tub Ideas List. :) http://ourworldwideclassroom.blogspot.com/2010/02/sensory-tubs-ideas-list.html

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

mmmmm...I'm going to need some chocolate play doh!

Michelle said...

Where did you find the pink wool?

Mrs. Wright said...

love all your ideas! Are you willing to share your chocolate play dough recipe?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails