Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Polishing Wood

Polishing is a common activity in Practical Life. Whether it be wood, metal, shoes, glass, etc. This was the first time I put out any kind of polishing work and I must admit I was a bit surprised by how much James enjoyed it. He polished several of these little hearts every day last week!

To do this work, James first rolled out the small, white table mat. He then opened the small jar of polish, dipped one q-tip into the polish and then rubbed it all over the heart. Then used the blue polishing cloth to buff the wood, making it nice and shiny.

I used beeswax polish (because I love the smell) and small wooden hearts, both of which I found at a Waldorf store in Minneapolis. You could use any kind of unfinished wood (visit a well stocked craft store for cheap, unfinished balls and cubes). Check out this link to Montessori Services where you'll find some of the items I've used in the above photo, as well as some all natural wood polish.


~Thank you for your comments!~

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! James looks like he loves it!

Jen said...

So simple and clean, I love it!

Hamid said...

hi,peace be upon u!

This is one of the amazing and beautiful homeschooling blog i have come across today.

nice to see all these beautiful activites....its edutainment.

kelli said...

very cool! and you're name...love it! i'm kelliann.=)

Tracy said...

This is a favorite in my classroom also. I found a vintage set of wooden fruit on ebay that I got for $20.00 which the children love to polish.

Blessings,
Tracy,
Montessori Teacher,
Avon, CT

Anonymous said...

This would be a great activity for the Gremlin. Thanks!

Mommy Moment said...

What a wonderful work! Where is that store in Minneapolis? I'd love to check it out when we go on our yearly vacation there this summer!

Jody

Kate @ An Everyday Story said...

I've often seen polishing work in Montessori schools and books and wondered whether the kids really enjoyed it as much as they said they do. I'm really glad to see someone outside the classroom do it and it be a hit. James looks like he was really concentrating and enjoying himself.

Leptir (NataĊĦa) said...

Beautiful little set! Kids from my classroom polished wooden furniture.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails