Monday, March 7, 2011

March Playdough

Unpredictable Weather Playdough :)

I made one batch of playdough (click here to see my recipe & notes) and split it into three sections: yellow w/gold glitter (sun), blue w/ white glitter (rain), and white (clouds/snow). Note: the white is simply plain dough - no food coloring.

I also made some weather word cards for James to use along with letter shaped cutters. James loves to spell and read and so this was a HUGE hit with him! Btw, we received the cutters as a birthday gift a couple of years ago - this exact set is no longer available, but this one is similar.

I've made a PDF of the weather word cards - simply copy and past this link into your address bar:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0By-8pEe8O7e5NWM0YTBjNTktMmExMC00YTA2LWE4ODktNjdjMDA5MTUyODAz&hl=en&authkey=CMXohg4

As always, my printables are for your personal use only - please do not sell or offer them in giveaways. Thank you!

~Thank you for your comments!~

13 comments:

Debbie said...

Nice ideas! I need to do a weather unit like yours soon because I already have homemade dough in all 3 of those colors. I also have the letter cutters. Last week I bought a set of cocktail umbrellas, too. So I'm almost set!

Plants seeds of knowledge...for our future! said...

This is great! I love the weather words to go with the activtiy. Thank you for making it and sharing it!
Jenea
www.seedsofnoledge.blogspot.com

Jen said...

Sooo cute! Thank you for sharing the word cards, you're the BEST!!

Jen said...

Sooo cute! Thank you for sharing the word cards, you're the BEST!!

PsychMamma said...

LOVE this idea! And, huge thanks for the weather words!

Anonymous said...

Cute!! Nice job Mari-Ann!

2p said...

I love this! I just made everything and started the activity with my 5yo son and my 3yo daughter. In the middle of focussing on making snow, my daughter smooshed the three colors together! AAAAAAAAAH! How do you keep the colors separated with little ones around?!

Elle Belles Bows said...

Mari-Ann! Thank you Thank you for the pdf file. We have the same playdough set. So, we will give it a try! LOVE the playdough too! Still have not ventured into the glitter mixing!! :-)

Kerri

Deb Chitwood said...

Great time of year to focus on weather! I love the letter-shaped cutters and the way you used them with the weather word cards! And thanks for sharing the pdf for your word cards. I featured your post (and your other posts with weather activities) at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

Fiona said...

I love this! I bought that playdough set though and the letters are in capitals -do you think this confuses them learning to read or should it be ok?

Darcey said...

This is a really cool idea for play-dough. I love all your play-dough themes. I've linked up to your post on my weekly favorites here: http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2011/03/weekly-favorites-for-march-13-2011.html

Counting Coconuts said...

Thanks so much for your comments!

@2p: I don't do anything to prevent mixing - I think it's part of the fun! :)

@ Fiona: I don't *think* it would be a problem, but I suppose it would depend on the child's knowledge of letters? The upper case letters didn't confuse James, but that's because he can distinguish lower and upper case. He learned both cases simultaneously.

HTH!

Deb Chitwood said...

What fun to revisit your awesome weather posts, Mari-Ann! I featured your weather posts and playdough photo in my Montessori-Inspired Weather Unit at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/03/06/montessori-inspired-weather-unit-and-weather-blog-hop/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails