Friday, March 11, 2011

Where's James?

Some of you have very sweetly told me you've missed seeing James' photo on this blog and asked why I no longer share photos of him "in action" during our schooltime. I should say up front it's not because I'm trying to protect his identity (too late for that, given all my previous photos). :) Rather it's me trying to respect his space during our school time. I realized a while back how distracting it must be to have a camera clicking away while you're trying to concentrate on school work. I also felt like I wasn't able to be really present with him during our lessons because I was too busy trying to capture that perfect photographic moment. There was also a period of time when James would instinctively wait to begin working on something because he assumed I wanted a photo first. That just seemed odd to me and I felt like I was the paparazzi in that sense! I now take photos only if it seems comfortable and easy to do so, and I always ask James beforehand, "Do you mind if I take a picture of you right now?".

All that said, I have felt my blog is lacking a little sparkle now that the star rarely makes appearances. So, I wanted to share a few recent photos of James taken inside or outside of the classroom, and always during times when there was some learning fun taking place!

~new wheels~

~creating a masterpiece~

~feeding a dolphin~

~doodling~

~throwing a snowball at mommy in Central Park, NYC~

So there you go! Thank you again for asking about my little guy - it warms my heart to know you care! And maybe I'll try to include a few more casual photos of him from now on. :)

~Thank you for your comments!~

12 comments:

Ewa said...

Well I must say I feel the same way when I'm taking pictures of AntoĊ› "in action". It's some kind of invasion no matter how hard we try not to disturb. I also have the same experience with my boys waiting to start the activity thinking I might take a picture first ;-(
You are very Montessorian in your approach to this issue. And I admire your thoughtful decision. Though, it is nice to see James from time to time- he is such a cute and wise boy;-) Love
Ewa

Gina said...

How considerate of you to set aside the picture taking for James' good! I often ask if my daughter wants her pic taken but you've reminded me to be extra conscious of this. Thanks!

Tamsyn Spackman said...

I, or my kids, can relate. When we are doing school, I am always running to grab the camera, and sometimes those magical moments in our schooling are missed because I'm trying to catch in on camera. Sometimes we catch the moments on camera and it's wonderful, but I have been trying to cut back. Your little boy is really cute though!

Theprincessandthetot said...

Super Tot does the same thing - waiting until after I take a picture. So sad!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It's good to see James again! I agree with your sentiments - sometimes it's so hard to refrain from taking pictures during special moments and at the same time you know that the charm might break.

Olives and Pickles said...

I totally agree with you. I try really hard on not taking picture of C while she works but sometimes She looks too cute and I have to tun to get the camera : )

Did I mention how cute your little guy is? Oh my goodness he is so so adorable.

Anonymous said...

awww!! Missed him!! So glad to "see" his smiling face! I have been having a hard time with the pictures during school time too.. which has turned into me not posting about school very often. I will have to start taking pictures of our activities and just sharing a few pictures like you said when it feels comfortable to take one! Missed seeing James though! He is getting so big!

sbswtp said...

Hmmmm...are you saying that paparazzi in the classroom is unnatural? ;-) That is often how I feel while I am snapping away... there are several activities where I just don't take pictures- like calendar/circle/bible time... also if we are actually reading...doing math... by the way.... he has gotten so big! :-) Thanks for adding some recent pictures :-)

Elle Belles Bows said...

James is just too cute!

I love all the pictures but really love the one of him doodling!

I think it is a great idea to ask before you take the picture too! I know E can get distracted when I pick it up by pointing at it or saying Cheese.

Thanks for sharing your photos!

Kerri

Joyful Learner said...

What a cutie! How can you NOT take photos? But I totally understand where you care coming from. I've decided to cut down on the picture taking as well. I've had way too many pictures on my iPhoto and I feel the need for less these days. I'm also struggling with the fact that our K doesn't want me to repeat everything she says and it's so hard! It takes self-control on my part and savor the moments as is. She values her privacy at almost 5 years.

Leigh said...

Yay, Yay, Yay!!! I loved this post!! :)

Sara said...

That is definitely something to think about for this paparazzi mom!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails