Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Weather Songs & Storytelling

We've been having lots of storytelling fun with our felt board! I cut these weather themed shapes out of felt and oh my goodness, what a hit they've been! James loves to make up stories and with the assistance of these felt pieces he can be heard regaling tales of mighty hurricanes where cats fly through the air, and calm, sunny days filled with popsicle eating. I just sit back and enjoy his stories - they always make me smile.

We've also used a few books and songs with our felt board. Our favorite song to sing with this is "What's the Weather". I've written the words below, in case you're not familiar with it:

What's the Weather?
(To the tune of O' My Darlin')

What's the weather, what's the weather, what's the weather today?
Is it cloudy, is it cloud, is it cloudy today?
** Here you'd introduce the clouds to the felt board. **

What's the weather, what's the weather, what's the weather today?
Is it raining, is it raining, is it raining today?
** Here you'd add the raindrops to the clouds on the felt board. **

And you'd continue on like this with the remaining pieces:
Snowflake
Rainbow
Sun
Lightening ("stormy")

It's easy to use these pieces with other weather songs, too, and you can certainly create more or different pieces to suit your songs. Here's a link to the songs we're singing this month - simply copy and paste the link into your address bar:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0By-8pEe8O7e5OTFjZjEyMDktZjVjNS00OGY4LWEwYzMtMmIzNTY1M2QxYmFk&hl=en&authkey=CLuu7qwO

As always, my printables are for your personal use only - please do not sell or offer them in giveaways. Thank you!

~Thank you for your comments!~

11 comments:

Sippy Cup Central Mom said...

Mari- Ann,

Those are very cute songs. Thanks for putting them together in one place. Karen

Tamsyn Spackman said...

That's why I bought all of that felt... It is unused, sitting in a drawer right now. This is so cute! Even if I don't get to the felt, I am definitely going to sing your weather song with my kids today. :o)

XYZZ said...

So cute!

Insightful Brain said...

Wow! This is so cute! I love the songs too!

hlmiller69 said...

What size felt board did you buy or would you recommend? I am thinking I would like to use it at church but also at home for school so I want it compact but not so small that my daughter can't put more than a few pieces on it.

Caterina said...

That's a really cute felt board. I was actually going out to buy materials to make one myself. Is that the smaller travel one? I am short on space and like how it folds up. Also one more question, where do you get your Question of the Day for Calendar Time? Thanks, Caterina

Counting Coconuts said...

Thanks so much for your comments!

Heidi & Caterina, I used a travel size (see the link I provided in the post).

Mommy to the Princesses said...

Love the weather song! I am going to add it to our circle time just before we mark the weather in our calendar! Neat, thanks for sharing!

Kattie said...

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your blog! I have two little ones, a 1 and 2 yr old, and you have inspired me to get busy making some fun stuff for them! Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

Unknown said...

hey .....its a gr8 job u r doing.....second to none.....gud going...

Unknown said...

I really enjoy your blog and get good ideas from it. I am homeschooling a almost 5 year old and a almost 3 year old.
can you kindly resend the link to the weather songs since when i cut and pasted it --it didn't work thanks
Roopa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails