Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Business of Commenting

Ok, so this has nothing whatsoever to do with Christmas or kid's activities or anything like that. But please, have a quick read because I would be SO grateful if someone out there could help me!

First let me just shamelessly admit that I LOVE receiving comments. They are like little presents in my inbox and I get really excited whenever I see a new one.
I know, I know... I shouldn't care about what people think, but I do! Like most bloggers, I put a lot of time and effort into my blog and it's awesome to get feedback and encouragement. Yes, I blog for me, and yes, I'm blogging to keep a journal of what I'm doing with my son, but I'm also blogging for all of you! Sharing ideas, spreading the word about good books, toys, etc. I know not everyone is into leaving comments, and that's ok too.
Personally, I love commenting on blogs. I'm a chatty person by nature and when I find a blog that "speaks to me" I feel like I need to comment back. Which leads me to my point... (ha! and you were beginning to wonder if there was one!)

My need to comment is being seriously cramped by Blogger. There are certain commenting formats (the ones unlike my own) which I, for whatever strange techie reason, canNOT comment on. And this is extremely frustrating, not only because many of the blogs I want to comment on are awesome, but also there are blog owners who've commented on my blog and to whom I'd like to say thanks. Sometimes I luck out and people will post their email in their profile and I'll send my comments that way. Other times I just plain ol' have no way of getting a hold of these lovely people.

I've reached out to Blogger no less than 5 times to find out why I can't comment on those formats. Their answer?

(imagine the sound of crickets here)

The only responses I've gotten were from other bloggers who have the same problem. So, since Blogger isn't interested in helping, I'm reaching out to any of you who know of a solution. (fyi, I've readjusted my settings several times, but nothing seems to work.)

With all that said, there are a handful of blogs I just want to give a shout out to - blogs that I really, really enjoy and would love to comment on, but can't. And, on the off chance the owners are reading this, they will no longer think me rude for not commenting or replying to their comments.


I appreciate any solutions, tips and, of course, comments you may have!! Thanks!!!

Fun Facts:
16 = # of times the words 'comment' and 'blog' (or some variation of them) were each used in this post.
{Yes, I over use words often. I'm ok with that.}

14 comments:

sbswtp said...

1. Seriously love your blog :)
2. Love leaving and getting comments, so I'm so with you there:)
3. I have no idea why you can't leave comments, I have not come across this problem....I am friends with Michelle (A mommy's adventures) and leave her comments all the time.... so I am at a loss there...I hope it gets worked out though!!!

Michelle said...

Thank you for the kind words :0) I really enjoy your blog and agree, comments are totally presents in my inbox!!!

I always enjoy your e-mails and appreciate the time it takes to e-mail me rather than comment. I wish I knew how to fix it. If any readers have an answer be sure to let me know!

Debbie said...

Hi Mari-Ann,
Oh, I'm so glad you like my blog!:) I'm pretty new to blogger, so I'm like you--every little comment is like a gift, and I get very excited when I see one. I blog for the same reasons you do, so I totally relate to everything you said. I really, really wish I could help, but I haven't run into that problem, and I'm not that great at technical things. I don't understand why you can't comment on my blog since others are able to. It doesn't make sense, but I hope you find the solution soon! Meanwhile, I'll try to give you lots of comments. I really like your blog, too!

Counting Coconuts said...

I think that's what's so frustrating - that OTHER people can leave comments on these blogs, but I can't. Boo. :(
Debbie, if you wouldn't mind I'd love to get your email address - I thought of a couple of ideas for those containers!

mermaid said...

Hi Mari- Ann! I love your blog too.. have read it for a few weeks now. By the way Mari- Ann is a very popular name in Estonia ;)


Linda.

Kylie said...

And ditto to what everyone has said. I thoroughly enjoy your blog and you have a couple on your linked to list that I haven't seen before...so off to check them out now. I haven't had any issues with commenting on other blogs. Oh and yes I love comments too, it's nice to see that someone is actually reading once in a while! Do you have the latest v ersion of blogger?? Not sure if that would be any help. You could always start a new blog, (behind the scenes) see if the commenting works and if it does import all of your blog from here to there. Seems like a lot of effort but I would be very disappointed too if I couldn't comment on blogs. I'll stop rambling now hehehe

Debbie said...

I can't agree with you more about the comments. I love to receive them as well.

I wish I could help you out with the problem of not being able to leave comments, but I've never experineced that myself.

I will certainly let you know if I happen to come across an answer to your dilema.

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

Hi Mari-Ann... I have had one person email me letting me know they couldn't comment on my blog. I ended up switching the way I had comments set up - it used to be directly below the post, now it pops up in a new window and that seemed to correct the problem (at least for that person). How strange... I wish I could be more help! I like Kylie's idea of creating a new test blog and seeing if you can leave comments using the new id (you'd have to create a new ID obviously for the test to work). Good luck!

Susan-Chasing Marcus said...

I am new to the whole blogging/commenting thing but am so honored that you visited my blog! It is still new, but I am having a great time writing it and did not think you at all rude for not commenting.
I like how you said that comments are like presents because that is true.
If you think of anything I can do on my end so commenting is easier please let me know. I would hate to miss out on something anyone has to say because I have something set wrong... In the mean time I will poke around and see if I can change any of the settings.
Thanks for the shout out too! Counting coconuts is one of the first blogs I check out each week for Tot School.

Leigh said...

crickets...Mar, you slay me.

Quixotic said...

Ugh, I hate techy type problems. I know what you mean about getting excited about comments, and I must admit I need to pick up my game and comment more often, but I do really, really enjoy your blog, my 2 yr old and I take inspiration from your seriously crafty, clever self and it's some of my best times with her. Hope you get the problem solved soon. :)

Counting Coconuts said...

Thank you for the feedback! Hugs to each and every one of you.

Kylie, what a great idea to create a test blog! Counting Coconuts was is fairly new (started in October), but it was created under the same ID as my personal blog, Island Life, which was created over a year ago. Perhaps it's as Nicole said and I'll need to create a whole new ID as well?

Thanks again for your thoughts and kind words!!

Sheena said...

I just came across your blog from Izzie, Mac and Me. I'm totally with you about comments, I love them. I can't wait to look around and see more on your blog.

Jen said...

I agree with everyone else... I love your blog!! I read it every morning while I'm sipping my Starbucks LOL!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails