Thursday, July 28, 2011

Multi-Tool Sorting Activity

This is really just a sorting/transferring activity, but with a little twist...

To do this work James will need to choose which of the tools in the tray will transfer which of the items in the bucket. Oh - ha! I see a little stray cube found its way onto the tool tray in the photo. :)

I tried to make it so only one tool applies to each kind of item. There is an overlap in that the tweezers can be used to pick up the large homemade poms. I think James will enjoy trying various tools all at once and discovering which ones work best. The bucket provides an added challenge as the depth will make scooping or tonging a bit more difficult.

As with ALL of the activities I put on our shelves I'm always sure to test them out myself first to make sure the materials work well together and that everything needed to complete the work is made available.

~Thank you for your comments!~

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun twist on sorting! I think I could engage Sammy with this type of sorting!

twolittleseeds said...

This is brilliant!!! What a great idea to evolve the transferring activity. I love it! xxx

Henry said...

Clever!

Unknown said...

Love the twist you added to this activity. Definitely adds a challenge.

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

This is very neat. You'll have to let us know if James does indeed like it!

Jessie (montessorimom22.blogspot.com) said...

great idea :)

Aimée said...

Brilliant idea! A great way to extend all the various transferring exercises and wonderfully challenging!!

Umm Umamah said...

Hi Mari Ann .. what a clever idea...I kept wondering how to make the transfer activity more challenging...and voila...you just answered my question......thanks! Also thanks a lot for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment:):):):):) Wishing you all the best !!!

Emma said...

This is neat. I've been so inspired by your blog and have made a simple sorting game for my daughter, who is nearly two.

http://www.cravingfresh.com/2011/07/sorting-game-for-toddlers.html

Sandra said...

Great idea, thanks for sharing it!

Jennifer Williams said...

Genius... I love it.... are you having a third trimester energy surge by any chance??!! ;-)

Jenni

Marnie Craycroft said...

Hi Mari-Ann,

I love your blog. I was criticized in my Montessori training for creating a somewhat similar tray. The main criticism was "isolation". With so many different tools, objects and colors, you're not getting the aim. Thoughts on this one?

Thanks!
Marnie

Counting Coconuts said...

Thanks so much for your comments!

Marnie, I'm quite sure I've broken TONS of rules in many of my Montessori-ish activites. All I can say is that James enjoyed it, he didn't appear to be confused about anything and the work was completed just as planned. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails