Thursday, July 21, 2011

Magnetic vs. Non-Magnetic

As you can see I've been banging out a lot of posts lately! With just a handful of weeks left in the pregnancy, I'm trying to squeeze in as much as I can before I sign off for a few months. Plus, I have a feeling this cute little babe is going to make an early appearance!

Ok, onto the activity: magnetic vs. non-magnetic is a very common Montessori activity and I'm sure you've seen it all over the blogosphere, but it's something new on our shelves and I thought I'd share it anyway. :)

We had a lot of fun using our jumbo magnetic (from Learning Resources) to determine which items were magnetic, which weren't and which were a bit of both. I credit The Adventures of Bear for using the Venn diagram in her presentation. I created the diagram and the labels in Word.

I set out to find LOTS of things for James to sort through because I knew this would be an activity he'd enjoy. I did not purchase this as a kit, I simply searched through my manipulatives and alphabet box items. Some of the items I chose:

Magnetic
:: Safety pin
:: Nail
:: Nut
:: Lock
:: Key
:: Little wagon
:: Spoon
:: Cookie cutter
:: Bottle cap
:: Paper clip
:: Bobby pin
:: Earring
:: Staples

Non-Magnetic

:: Pine cone
:: Bit of leather
:: Wooden cube
:: Piece of wax
:: Scrap of paper
:: Dice
:: Sponge
:: Crayon
:: Eraser
:: Felted ball
:: Feather
:: Small Plastic toy
:: Tiny tea kettle

Both Magnetic & Non-Magnetic
:: Scissors
:: Clothespin
:: Tack
:: Pipe cleaner

Most of the magnetic things I found were shiny, so I made a point to choose some shiny materials that were non-magnetic just to prove that not all shiny things are magnetic.

This work was a HUGE hit with James and he's done it several times this week.

Here's how it looks on our shelves. :)


~Thank you for your comments!~

8 comments:

RockerMom said...

Beautiful, as usual. I love all of your natural materials. I've been planning to get Robbie a big magnet at the local teacher supply store for some time. You may have just convinced me to do it. :D

I don't know how you manage to do so much while pregnant!

Förskoleburken said...

The diagram IS really clever!
:)

Marraine said...

Good evening, I discovered your blog a few weeks ago, and really, really wanted to tell you how much of a wonderful mom you are. Your son (and future daughter ;-)) are lucky children... I also wanted to thank you for being so generous and to share all these wonderful ideas with us. If you ever decide to study France (maybe you have already) let me know if you need anything, I can maybe help!! I hope you will continue to share with us for a long time....Best regards, Ann-Sophie from France

The girl who painted trees said...

Thank you for crediting me. I love that huge magnet. We just have the magnet wand. I remember trying to find shiny non magnetic items as well:) Your presentation looks so pretty.

Umm Umamah said...

Hi Mari-Ann,

Wishing a very safe and happy delivery, Enjoy your break and baby bonding. There is nothing comparable to a new bundle of joy in the family. Wishing your family the best. We also did this activity recently in two different ways...I would love to know what you think :)

http://umamahlearningacademy.blogspot.com/2011/06/magnetic.html

and another with coins:

http://umamahlearningacademy.blogspot.com/2011/07/magnetic-coins.html

Zelda said...

I will miss all the wonderful inspiration you provide - have a wonderful time welcoming your newest family member.
Zelda

Jen said...

You have a wonderful knack for making something so sciencey look so inviting and beautiful!

Deb Chitwood said...

I had fun revisiting your posts, Mari-Ann! I featured your post and photo in my Montessori Magnetic and Non-Magnetic post today: http://livingmontessorinow.com/2013/10/28/montessori-monday-montessori-magnetic-and-nonmagnetic-activity/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails