Saturday, July 23, 2011

Practical Life - Cherry Pitting

Another summer time treat - cherries!

James love to help me pit cherries for our fruit salads, so I decided to make it into a shelf activity.

Pretty self-explanatory - James removed the stems and pitted the seeds, placing both in the little white bowl. As with our watermelon work, he placed one toothpick in each piece of food and then offered them as a snack to others in the house (meaning me and his stuffed animal friends :).

It's the little things in life: James was excited to see two cherries stuck together and said, "They're best friends!"

~Thank you for your comments!~

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet boy! Love the best friends story! Sammy would love this activity!

Joey said...

Aren't those cherry pitters the neatest invention!?! I blogged about them after a recent cherry farm adventure!
http://madebyjoey.blogspot.com/2011/07/58km-diet-or-36-miles.html
~ joey ~

My Captivating Life said...

How sweet! :)

Jen said...

This is SOOOO cute! I never thought of having my boys pit cherries, but they will now! Lord knows we eat enough of them during the summer. :0)

Jen said...

This is such a great idea! I never thought to have my boys pit cherries, but they will now! Lord knows we eat enough of them during the summer. :0)

Deb Chitwood said...

Great activity, Mari-Ann! And I love that James offers snacks to you and his stuffed animal friends. Before long, he'll be able to share with his little sister, too! I featured your food preparation posts and cherry pitting photo in my Montessori-Inspired Food Preparation post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/11/08/montessori-inspired-food-preparation-for-preschoolers/

Suzibeck said...

I really need to get a cherry pitter! I just made cherry blender gelatin for a cool summer dessert. Dump 2 cups 100% juice in blender, add fruit (about a quart but whatever you have on hand is fine), add 2 T plain gelatin (or two packages of Knox) and blend it all. Pour into one bowl or single serve cups and chill. This comes out in 2 or 3 layers depending on the fruit used. The kids love it and it is super easy and much healthier than traditional jello.

Stacey said...

LOVE this! Putting some people to "work" right now on this task!!

:-)

Counting Coconuts said...

Thanks for your comments! suzibeck, thanks for your recipe - it sounds delicious and we'll definitely be giving it try over the hot summer! What a great treat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails