Saturday, July 2, 2011

July Sensory Tub - Pond

I've had this one on my "to make" list for well over a year now! One of our mini-units is going to be a pond theme, so I thought I'd make a full size tub for James to enjoy as well.

Here's what's inside:
:: Multi-colored aquarium rocks
:: Flat glass marbles, large and small
:: Fish net
:: Jar (for collecting pond specimens) :)
:: Mini frog and turtle erasers
:: Little green fish (I cut these from felt) - you may need to click on the photo to see them more clearly.
:: Plastic duck, turtle, and dragonfly
:: Multi-colored purler beads
:: Lily pads (cut from fake plant leaves)
:: Letters

These chip board letters are from my scrapbook stash, which I've had for years, but I *think* I purchased them at Archiver's. I added the entire alphabet to the tub and James will need to dig them out. He can use them to spell the following pond-related words:

Duck, dragonfly, fish, pond, water, turtle, net, frog, lily pad, and rocks.

Click the button below to see a full list of my sensory tubs or click here to view my slideshow on the Counting Coconuts Facebook page.


~Thank you for your comments!~

8 comments:

LeeanneA said...

Love it - very nice!

Susie Chadwick said...

Do you wash your aquarium rocks before using them in a sensory tub?

Lightning Bug Literacy said...

Love it! We had a blast with our pond unit, too! I doubt their age appropriate for your son, but thought I'd share! http://lightningbuglit.com/tot-school/little-bug-learning-school/f-is-for-frogs-and-other-pond-life/

Counting Coconuts said...

Leanne & Lighting Bug - thank you so much for your kind comments!

Susie - yes, I wash the rocks (and let them dry) before adding them to the tub.

Terri said...

I love this - it may be my favourite one of your sensory tubs so far (I'm a Piscean and so I connect well to the theme!!) I am going to try this for my childrens first sensory tub, I may just be able to find many of these items here :-)I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again Mari-Ann you are such inspiration.

Oh by the way - do you have the pond related words listed somewhere or do you suggest James spell these while using the tub?

kelly from teachertime123.com said...

What a fun idea! :)

Deb Chitwood said...

Your posts never get old, Mari-Ann! I featured your pond sensory tub and photo in my Montessori-Inspired Turtle Activities post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2013/05/20/montessori-monday-montessori-inspired-turtle-activities/

Unknown said...

I saw this post featured on Montessori Now and had to stop by to check it out. What a wonderful play idea! I have pinned it to my Sensory Bin board.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails