Sunday, January 17, 2010

This n That

It really goes against my OCD tendencies to create a "mish-mash" post, but I'm quickly realizing that I have more things to blog about that I have the time, so mish-mash it is - here are just a few things I've been meaning to post about:

The Craft Hope Scarf...
Is (finally) coming along really nicely! It took me a while to get the hang of it, and I did have to start over from scratch a few times, but now I found my knitting groove. I'm about 1/3 of the way done and I'll definitely have the scarf ready in time for the deadline!

I just had my second knitting class yesterday and I started another project - a hat for James! This is going to be tricky and already I've had to start over. Knit one, purl one, knit one, purl one... ugh - it's stuck in my head!

Montessori Training...
Two words: love it. I get so excited whenever I "have to" study. :) I am learning so much already and it's only been 2 weeks! I keep meaning to write a post about the Great Montessori Movement going on in our home and about what brought me to Montessori in the first place (several of you have sweetly asked to know more). I hope to write up something soon.

Some Surprising Finds...
As you all know, I love thrifty shopping. I haven't done a Frugal Friday post in a while, but that doesn't mean I haven't found some new goodies! The other day James and I made a trip to the local pet store. My cats have been sorely ignored since James was born, and they're starting to show signs of mutiny. So, James and I bought a few cat toys and treats for them as a peace offering.

Now as any good Montessori mama/teacher would do, I scanned the pet store for possible Practical Life materials. Lo and behold I found some! Check it out...

Two little radish shaped dishes (presumably for some type of rodent), a nest (for a bird cage), and some plastic ocean shapes (for fish tanks). I don't need to explain to you how much fun these finds are or what I plan to use them for. You clever, creative ladies can clearly see for yourselves (that's what I love about you!). :)

My New Laminator...
A Christmas gift from my sweetie! For the whole month of December I kept singing, "all I want for Christmas is a lam-in-nator, a lam-in-nator, a lam-in-nator..." I guess he got the hint. :)

Look at this beast! Leave it to my Hubs to get the industrial strength machine. I do believe this thing could laminate my hand! Truth be told, I'm a tad afraid of it... ;)

13 comments:

Jo Shabo said...

Yay for the LAMINATOR!! whoo hoo! i love mine and use it all the time- but cutting all the stuff out can get tedious :)

I had my first crochet class yesterday-- I am figuring it out but it takes lots of concentration and that's hard when you have little ones to "concentrate" on too.
Your scarf is very pretty-- funny- i used a red color to start my crochet as well. Good color!

Sheena said...

Love the laminator. I haven't gotten my Christmas present from my hubby yet because I still have to choose what I want. One of the choices is a laminator and that's what I'm leaning towards because I know I would use it so often.

BTW, I changed the settings for my comments so hopefully you and others can comment now.

Theresa Mezo said...

I am looking for a good laminator myself.. lucky you for getting one as a gift!
I can't believe you found such cute & wonderful learning stuff at the PET store! I would have never dreamed of looking there.. guess I should go & get my poor cats some toys this week & see what I can find too! :)

sbswtp said...

yay for the laminator!!! I totally love mine :) Such a good idea for looking at a pet store for Montessori materials! :)

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

Mari-Ann you are a hoot. :) Have I ever told you I LOVE every single post you write, mish-mash or not?! You are just a super writer, and your sense of humor... well, you are a hoot, hee hee. I am jealous of that laminator; I did get a mad paper cutter though, lol. :) And good for you with the knitting - the scarf is beautiful! And... I'm hitting the pet store asap. Those were awesome finds!

Jen said...

Leave it to you to find something special at a pet store! You have such knack for that kind of thing. :D I am so happy you are loving your Montessori training. I knew you would!
~Jen
PS: GREAT JOB on the scarf!! You'd never guess this was your first project... it looks beautiful. I'm sure James' hat will turn out perfectly.
PPS: How cute is it that Paul got you a laminator? Seriously, what a sweet guy!

Jen S. said...

I linked to your blog through 1+1+1=1. My daughter is 33 months as well. I wanted to thank you for posting about Craft Hope a while back. I love crafting, so I looked into it and am excited to help. Unfortunately, I'm not a knitter so The Red Scarf Project is not up my ally, but I was able to help out in donating to the Etsy store. Good luck in finishing your scarf.

Sheryll said...

Hi, I am a new reader. Just wondering what montessori training you are doing? Is it something online? Really enjoying your blog.

Karen said...

Congrats for the laminator!!!yeahhhh!!! (she's my best friend!!!)lol. Nunca se me hubiera ocurrido buscar en un pet store THINGS for the practical area!! You're a STAR!!!!

Anonymous said...

ooo love the scarf! Very pretty! Can't wait to see the hat!

Can't wait for your Montessori posts and what brought you to Montessori!

OO thrifting at the pet store.. what a great idea! I am sure you will come up with some super fun activities for them!

I am having laminator envy right now.. hehe! Have fun laminating :-)

Susan-Chasing Marcus said...

Your scarf is beautiful! I picked up some red yarn at the yarn store, but sadly have not casted on yet. Things got a little busy this week. I do hope to make the deadline.
I LOVE my laminator. It is the best things in the world and am so glad that I bought it. It makes the materials that I make for Sophie last so much longer. Yours looks very high tech...I have the simple Scotch one from Target, but trust me it is loads of fun. Happy Laminating!

Cara said...

I'm having some serious laminator envy right now! I'd be happy to have ANY sort of laminator, but yours looks particularly awesome.

I am definitely one of your readers that is waiting to hear more about your Montessori training!

Counting Coconuts said...

Thank you for your sweet comments!
Jo, good luck in your class! I want to learn how to crochet, too - looks hard!
Sheena - CHOOSE THE LAMINATOR! It's awesome.
Nicole & Jen, you two always make me smile with your comments. *hugs*
Jen S., I'm so glad you're going to participate in Craft Hope - such a wonderful group.
Sheryll - I'm taking an online course and loving it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails