Thursday, January 7, 2010

Craft Hope - The Red Scarf Project

One of the things I'm determined to do in 2010 is to learn how to knit. Or I should say, re-learn how to knit. My friend taught me how about 4 years ago, but I've totally forgotten everything she showed me. So, I signed up for a class that meets for the first time this Saturday. I can't wait!

For my first creation I'm planning on making a scarf for the current Craft Hope project...

(from the Craft Hope blog)
The Orphan Foundation serves thousands of foster teens throughout the U.S. They provide college scholarships, connect them with mentors and internships, send them care packages, and testify for them before Congress. Each year 25,000 students ‘age out’ of the foster care system and the Orphan Foundation is committed to helping them become tomorrow’s successful citizens. They launched the Red Scarf program in 2005 to send red scarves to warm the hearts (and necks) of college bound youth. They began taking these donations to include in their Valentines Day care packages.

The deadline is Valentine's Day (yikes!), but I'm sure I'll be able to learn enough by then to make a simple red scarf, right? Can't be that hard... can it? (she said nervously)

So, in addition to sharing with all of your my newest addiction hobby, I am reaching out to see if any of you would be interested in making a scarf for a good cause. I know there are lots of moms out there who know their way around a knitting needle (hint-hint, Susan & Nicole). ;)

Click on the button above for more details about Craft Hope and the amazing things they do.

9 comments:

Montessori Moments said...

Good Luck! I'm sure you will be able to do it. You seem to be able to do everything...Take your Montessori training, set up a beautiful classroom, blog faithfully, be a great mommy...how hard is knitting a scarf when you are SUPER MOM?
Awesome cause...you are sweet!

Susan-Chasing Marcus said...

I should finish my first sock tonight...I might be able to get a scarf done by Valentines. Let me check my yarn stash and read the link for more details. You must post pictures of your progress!

Jo Shabo said...

That sounds wonderful! You will definitely have a scarf done by then- you are SO crafty!!
I start with my ladies at the church two weekends from now... It is a group called Shawl Ministry and we make them for people who have lost a loved one or for mother's with newborns.
I am hoping I can figure it out quick too! :)
Maybe I can use my new talent for Christmas presents next year! (fingers crossed!!)

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, sounds like just the type of motivation I need to get back into knitting. And I hear Michael's is having a yarn sale this week! :)

Counting Coconuts said...

Jody - thank you so much for your sweet comment!! Wow, totally made me smile!
Susan, I hope you're able to make the scarf!
Jo, it sounds like you're a part of a really special group - don't forget about our little support group! ;)
MM - Michaels... so jealous. Hope you find some great deals!

Elise said...

Mari-Ann, I know you will do it - I have complete faith. You have the perfect inspiration through Craft Hope to get this done.

Enjoy your first class, it sounds like it will be so much fun.

What a special way to use your (soon to be) new found talent. Making handmade items and giving them to others is such a special, slefless and caring act.

Anonymous said...

aww so fun! I want to learn how to knit this year as well! Hopefully I will learn soon! That foundation sounds awesome!

Paul said...

GOOD LUCK!

Jen said...

Oh I have no doubt you'll not only finish in time, it'll be gorgeous too. You are good at EVERYTHING you do!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails