Sunday, October 10, 2010

Pasta Sensory Tub & Activties

Did you know October is 'National Pasta Month'?! (It's also National Pizza, Cookie, and Apple Month - who comes up with these things?) In August, my wonderfully creative niece came up with the idea of making a spaghetti sensory tub and I thought it would be perfect for the first part of this month.

In the end, I decided to add more than just spaghetti to it. This was so fun and easy to put together!

Here's what's inside:
:: Various kinds of pasta - Spaghetti, Bowtie, tri-colored Rotini, - a distinct variety that's perfect for sorting.
:: Bits of red felt (to simulate sauce)
:: Glass shaker with holes in the top (James loves putting the spaghetti into them)
:: Wooden bowl
:: Sealed container of Parmesan cheese, which makes a satisfying sound when shaken.
:: Metal strainer spoon
:: Brown pom-poms (to simulate meatballs) - these are the same pom-poms from my ice cream sensory tub.
:: Italian seasoning - yep, REAL dried herbs! I just sprinkled them all over to add some olfactory fun to the mix! The tub smells delicious!

I'm not sure how long this tub will last considering it's filled with actual food products, and I'm not sure I want to find out (besides, I think the ants would determine the end date sooner than later anyway). No matter, Halloween is just around the corner and I'll be creating that tub soon.

I also put together a couple of pasta themed activities for our shelves...
Lacing

Counting

And just so we really get into the theme, guess what's for dinner tonight... :)

~Thank you for your comments!~

22 comments:

Leptir (NataĊĦa) said...

Lacing activity is my favourite :-)

julie & joe said...

Pasta for sensory tubs can last a long time. I usually store mine in an airtight container and have reused them in the classroom for many years. It probably lasts a lot longer when you color it with food coloring and rubbing alcohol.

Darcey said...

Great sensory tub!

Michelle said...

So much fun!!! I love sensory tubs and so do my two girls. This would be a big hit at our house :0)

Deb Chitwood said...

Another great sensory tube, Mari-Ann! And I LOVE the lacing activity!
http://LivingMontessoriNow.com

Mrs. Whary said...

That lacing tray looks like so much fun!

nunu said...

i just love what you do and am going to challenge myself to follow your lead starting now! the pasta sensory tub will be my son's first. thank you for the inspiration! from one island mama to another...

bella said...

wow this is a wonderful idea , i am doing it this week . my kids who canplay pretend cooking all day long would love this . thank you so much
viv

bella said...

woops sorry it hink i posted twice because i couldn't find my posts . didn't know posts are moderated:)

Anonymous said...

ooo very fun!!! I created one for this month as well.. I really need to get the post up soon :-) The brown pom poms totally look like meatballs :-)

Dana Brunner said...

What a fantastic idea for a sensory tub! By the way your blog is amazing,I just came across it today and I cant stay away.Love it!!! I'm feeling very inspired.

bella said...

what size is the box you use for your sensory tub ??
viv

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This looks like a lot of fun, especially sticking spaghetti into the shaker bottle. I am curious to see your Halloween tub!

JennyAnn said...

Mari-Ann, I love your blog and your ideas! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm also homeschooling my 2 kiddos. My son just turned 3 this weekend and daughter will be 2 in December. My background is in early childhood ed and I've also read a lot about both Montessori and Waldorf. I LOVE your nature table, btw. I was wondering if you had integrated much of the Waldorf art materials/method into your curriculum with James. I've found both my children just love to do the watercolors. Jenny

Anonymous said...

Oh what fun! The pasta isle is always so fun to go down because of all the colors and shapes they have. Never thought of having the girls play with those. Have to head to the grocery store today!

Counting Coconuts said...

Thank you all so much for your kind words and compliments – I truly appreciate it!

@JennyAnn: We have done quite a bit with the water colors (though not recently - we’ve been moving, etc.) and also wax molding. I bit the bullet and purchased a beautiful paint board, glass jars and the Stockmar paints from Nova Naturals and have been very pleased with the quality of everything. I’m hoping to get back into painting with James in the coming weeks.

@Bella: I'm not sure how many gallons the tub is, but it's approx. 6" wide, 10" deep & 14" long. I'll be posting more about my sensory tubs in the coming weeks.

Warmly,
Mari-Ann

Jen said...

Oh this is too much fun! Real herbs?! You are the sensory tub QUEEN!!!

Unknown said...

The tub and activities looks like so much fun! James is lucky to have you!

Susana said...

This is a very fun bin! I LOVE all of the ideas you shared with it. Thank you! My Jack will have fun with this.

jo said...

looks like great fun!
you have been featured on The Montessori Goldmine!
http://themontessorigoldmine.blogspot.com/2010/10/friday-round-up_15.html
thanks
jo

Stefanie said...

Love it!!

Unknown said...

Awesome tub!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails