Sunday, November 14, 2010

Easy DIY Counting Cards

I just want to share this quick and easy idea with you - homemade counting cards. In Montessori, counters and cards are used for quantifying. We've used them often in the past, but I've always used pre-made numbers made of wood or foam and/or printables that I've laminated. It occurred to me that I could make good use of the MANY stickers and papers I have from my scrapbooking days.
I simply used thick cardstock, cut it down to a reasonable size and centered the stickers. I also distressed the edges of the paper for a fun look (well, actually, the blade on my paper cutter is terribly dull and so I was forced into the distressed look :). I might laminate them too for extra durability. The great thing about making your own cards is that you can make them to suit your taste and/or needs - I'm thinking some cards with red stickers matted on a green patterned background would be lovely for Christmas.

Here are the cards being used with little bowtie pasta as counters.

Visit your scrapbooking or craft store and make some of your own!


~Thank you for your comments!~

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute! Love how these turned out! I have been whipping out a few Christmas presents this weekend.. I will be sharing them this week sometime :-)

City Sister said...

Do you make them self correcting on the reverse? My daughter is learning her numbers right now and I love to see how others do it.

City Sister said...

Are they self correcting on the other side (dots or something?) My daughter is learning about numbers and I'd love to create something like this for her.

Unknown said...

Great idea! We love counting noodles at my house.

Counting Coconuts said...

City Sister, no, I didn't make the cards self correcting since James is very familiar with numerical order, but when used with the counters the activity is self-correcting - there are exactly 55 counters.

Jen said...

Ok, this looks simple enough that even I could do it lol! Thank you for the idea.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails