Saturday, December 11, 2010

December Discovery Tray

For our December Discovery Tray, I tried to find real items that represent the winter season. Not an easy thing to do when you live on a sub-tropical island! I found a pine tree branch, a pine scented wax candle, cranberries, cinnamon sticks and pine cones. The magnifying glass is a mainstay in all of our discovery trays.

One thing I really wanted to do was to get two branches of pine needles and put one of them in a vase with water. I thought it'd be interesting for James to see the difference in the branch that's fed with water and the one that's drying out. But, since we use the same artificial tree each year, I had to beg one of the local Christmas tree salesmen for a snippet of one of his trees. He was less than willing and I thought I'd be pressing my luck to ask for two samples!

~Thank you for your comments!~

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oo great job finding winter things!! That stinks it was hard to get 1 branch. The farms around here will give the trimmings away. My sister got a ton one year and used them to make presents for their parents by sticking the branches down in some floral foam.

Beth- the mama bee said...

Girl, remind me next year and I'll send some branches and pine cones and holly. -Beth

Debbie said...

You found some nice things even if you do live on a sub-tropical island! It's funny that the tree salesman didn't like giving one little snippet of a tree, but good for you for asking. I need to make a basket like this...I just don't like going out in the cold weather to find stuff. Maybe I can send my husband or son out. : )

Unknown said...

I love your blog, so today I gave you the "Me Encanta Tu Blog" (I love your blog) award on my blog.

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

Well, you have to take the *sub-tropical* good along with the *sub-tropical* bad I guess. ;) You know, we have over a foot of snow in our yard and it's still coming down. We are officially snowed in. We have plenty of winter to go around.

I would love to follow you around while you beg people for little items like bits of pine branches. I just wonder how you do it - you are much braver than I!

The Activity Mom said...

I can't believe he was less than willing to clip a little piece. =( Great tray!

The Sunshine Crew said...

What a nice discovery tray! How fun! Colleen:)

Jen said...

I'd say you did a remarkable job finding things on the rock! You brought back memories of my days in Bermuda... I remember just how "friendly" the people are there! LOL

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails