Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Fun Winter Sandwiches

We've been having a lot of fun with our lunches this month by making these cute sandwiches...

Reindeer
I used wheat bread and peanut butter for the head and face, raisins for the eyes, a maraschino cherry for the nose, and celery for the antlers. Note: to make the celery curl, simply cut a thin slit along each side of the stalk, then immerse in cold water for 15 minutes or so.

Snowman
I used white bread and smoked turkey for the body, mini chocolate chips for the eyes and mouth, a bit of carrot for the nose, a wheat thin for the hat, pretzels for the arms, and grape halves for the buttons.

Polar Bear
I used a honey wheat English muffin and veggie cream cheese for the head and face, egg halves for the ears, an apple slice for the snout, blueberries for the eyes, a grape half for the nose, and red peppers for the mouth.

Gingerbread Man
I used wheat bread and salami for the body, raisins for the eyes, a red pepper slice for the mouth and cheerios for the buttons.

Christmas Tree
I used a spinach wrap and melted mozzarella for the tree, pepper bits for the lights, a wheat thin for the trunk, and a slice of starfruit for the star.

I found these ideas in one of my Pre-K books and just modified them a bit to suit James' tastes. In most cases I used cookie cutters to create the shapes. I served additional veggies and fruits on the side, along with a warm cup of soup and a glass of milk. Whenever we make these we keep the crusts from the sandwiches and feed them to the birds while we wait at the ferry stop for Daddy to come home from work!

The best thing about these sandwiches is that James helped me make them, resulting in lots of smiles and giggles from both of us (and lots of Practical Life practice, too!). James loved these soooo much that I think I've now set a high bar for myself and will need to make lunch a more creative adventure going forward!!


~Thank you for your comments!~

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooo my goodness those look so festive and tasty!!

Chrysti said...

Those are great ideas!

Elle Belles Bows said...

The gingerbread man is my favorite!! Kerri

Angela said...

PRECIOUS! My 4 year old was eyeing this webpage with a grin while I was looking at the pics! We will definitely be trying these!

Olives and Pickles said...

Super fun..Thank you for sharing! Have a Magic Happy Christmas!
patty

Corrie said...

Nice idea.

Montessori Beginnings said...

Very cute! I bet James loved eating them. Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Lots of Love,Light and Happiness xxx

Faith said...

Such cute ideas! I can't wait to try them. They not only look good, I'll bet they taste good too! Thanks for sharing. Have a very merry Christmas.

Sippy Cup Central said...

Love love love the snowman!!! Karen

Jen said...

Eeek! I loooovvveee these! If I've said it once I've said it a million times: James is SO lucky to have you for a mama!

Theresa Mezo said...

my son absolutely loved these, thanks SO much for sharing!!! :)

legomaster said...

Super cute!
I'll definitely try these for my boys..ages 3 & 5 yrs.
This beats the dinosaur cutter sandwiches and bugs on a log or bugs on a lily pad that my boys love. Can't wait to surprise them with this.

Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails